When it comes to getting a good night’s rest, choosing a reliable mattress topper is so important. The topper allows you to customize the fit and feel of your mattress to your own individual preferences. We’re talking about both texture and temperature.
Whether the mattress topper is firm, soft, cooling, or heating, we’ve highlighted the positives and negatives of each choice.
Back pain sufferers who sleep hot swear by cooling mattress covers, meanwhile, others prefer something that provides pressure relief with memory foam. We’ve done the research for you so that you don’t have to. These are the ten top mattress toppers for back pain that are currently on the market.
Note: All prices listed are for Queen size mattress toppers. However, each brand has other size bed options as well.
1. Best Overall Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Dosaze Cooling Mattress Topper, $160
Not only is the price on the Dosaze mattress topper cheaper than average, but you also get numerous benefits included for that price. It has a soft memory foam that will provide support around your body. The equal weight distribution means no pressure points and less back pain. The extra comfort makes getting a good night’s rest much more likely.
Temperature regulating gel beads are embedded in the foam to make sure that you don’t get too hot either. It’s the perfect combination of support, comfort, and cooling technologies. Since it costs less than half the price of some of the other mattress topper brands, the value is unbeatable. It is great for couples or single individuals as well. The memory foam will absorb any motion so that you won’t disturb a partner when switching positions.
- Plush memory foam
- Temperature regulating gel beads
- Motion absorbing
- Relieves pressure points
- Promotes spinal alignment
- Affordable price
- 10-year warranty
- People who require really firm mattresses might find that it is too soft for their tastes.
2. Best Firm Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Lift by Amerisleep Mattress Topper, $299
It has a price tag that’s higher than many mattress toppers, but if you like firmness, this is one of the best there is. The Amerisleep topper is three inches thick. It feels firm, but also has pressure-relieving technology that will help keep your limbs from falling asleep. For those who want even more control, there is both a comfort and a support option to choose from.
- Breathable topper that provides support
- Micro-grip technology keeps it in position
- 5-year warranty
- It might be too firm for those whose back pain responds better to side sleeping.
3. Best Pressure Relief Mattress Topper for Back Pain: TEMPUR-Topper Supreme, $399
Tempurpedic is one of the biggest names in the sleep industry and for good reason. Their mattress topper isn’t cheap, but if your pain is caused by pressure on your back while sleeping, this is the ideal memory foam option. The topper will cradle every part of your body. No matter your sleeping position, it will give you the personalized support that you require.
- Washable cover
- Pressure-relieving TEMPUR material
- Benefits of memory foam without buying a full memory foam mattress
- You sink in a little bit, which makes turning over in your sleep more difficult.
4. Best Natural Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Plushbeds Latex Mattress Topper, $445
This Plushbed topper is made out of 100% Talay Latex. It’s an all-natural choice free from any chemical additives or dyes. Fans of natural latex already know just how effective it is for pressure relief. Plus, the open-cell design provides for plenty of airflow so that you never get too hot.
- 100% natural hypo-allergenic material with zero fillers
- 5-year warranty
- Good combination of pressure relief and support
- The organic cotton cover is not included in the price and costs extra.
5. Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Molecule AirTEC Topper, $299
The topper is three inches thick and made up of three different layers. It’s the best option on this list for hot sleepers. The top is made out of memory foam that fits to your body without sacrificing on airflow. However, the real cooling benefits are provided by the AirTEC technology in the middle layer. It is made out of a matrix of foam.
Finally, the bottom layer is where the back support comes from. It will help to keep your back and spine in alignment all night long. Plus, the entire topper is surrounded by a cover made of cooling fibers that will keep you from ever overheating.
- Maximum airflow
- Cooling tech that doesn’t skimp on support
- Motion absorbing foam to prevent disturbances
- It could be too soft for those who need firmness in their mattress topper.
6. Best Organic Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper, $450
This organic mattress topper is made from a combination of three natural materials — cotton, wool, and latex. There is nothing synthetic at all. The latex provides enough plushness to prevent any pressure points from forming. The cotton and wool are great for airflow. Plus, it has moisture-wicking benefits.
- All-natural materials
- Made in the USA
- 10-year warranty
- The organic label also comes with a higher price tag than synthetic mattress toppers.
7. Best Luxury Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Airweave Top Mattress, $830
If you are looking for a luxury brand with all of the bells and whistles, Airweave should do the trick. It is great for back pain sufferers who require a firm-feeling mattress topper. They specifically designed it with that in mind. “70% of customers choose airweave due to back and joint pain,” the website explains.
- Holds body in position without soft, sagging feeling
- Airfiber technology for a cooler sleep
- 100% washable for easy cleaning
- The luxury price tag may be too steep for some consumers.
8. Best Value Mattress Topper for Back Pain: Company Essentials LoftAIRE Down Alternative Mattress Topper, $109
The Company Essentials mattress topper is the cheapest option on the list, but that doesn’t mean it lacks in quality. For the price, it can’t be beaten. For those who have a sensitivity to down, this is a great alternative. The synthetic fill material mimics the softness of down without causing overheating.
- Alternative to down
- Good price
- Machine washable
- It is thinner than other mattress toppers and attaches to the bed more like a mattress pad.
Sleeping with back pain isn’t easy. Luckily, instead of buying a whole new mattress, sometimes all you need is a good mattress topper to solve the problem. Depending on your individual preferences, there are several options on this list to try. A comfy, pain-free sleep is something that we all desire.
Check out an interesting video about choosing a mattress topper for back pain below.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.