https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0fdUcJxxU
Guest Post

Kids Have Been Left With Burns After Taking Part In This Trend

July 12th, 2019

Be sure to reach the end of the article to see the full video.

Most childhood crazes are harmless enough. Even though sometimes a fight may break out over swapping Pokemon cards or something, they’re mostly harmless fun. But this latest fad has the potential to be a danger to a child’s health.

Lots of adults have been confused as to why kids like to play with slime. But they do.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Wikipedia Source: Wikipedia

As a result, there are hundreds of recipes online for making homemade slime that children can play with all day.

Many parents are content to let their kids play with the slime, reckoning that it is an easy way to keep them distracted. But it turns out that playing with slime can be very dangerous.

The first incident of a child being harmed by homemade slime occurred at a sleepover party.

Kathleen Quinn was one of the girls at the party. She and her friends were playing with homemade slime when something shocking happened.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
FOX 4 Now/YouTube Source: FOX 4 Now/YouTube

The slime started to hurt her hands. There was a burning sensation on her skin that wasn’t going away.

She tried running her hands under a cold tap, but it took a long time for the pain to fade. And she was left with third-degree burns on her fingers.

“She was crying in pain. ‘My hands hurt. My hands hurt!’ And we looked at them and they were covered in blisters.” – Quinn’s mother

Quinn’s parents took her to the doctor. He asked what the slime that she had been playing with was made from.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Fox 4 Now/YouTube Source: Fox 4 Now/YouTube

The parents discovered that it was a mixture of school glue and sodium borate (aka borax.)

The doctor said that holding the borax for such a long time is what had caused the burning.

It turns out that sodium borate/borax should not be played with.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Pixabay Source: Pixabay

It is an irritant not just to the skin but also to the eyes, breathing passages, nasal cavities and respiratory tracts. And as children tend to have lower standards of hygiene than adults, this puts them even more at risk of the substance’s adverse effects.

Quinn’s story was the first incident but sadly not the last. Accounts of children being harmed from handling homemade slime are becoming more and more commonplace.

And this dangerous children’s craze is not just restricted to America.

There are reports of sodium borate/borax related chemical burns occurring in children in other countries, such as in the UK. One such incident happened to UK child YouTuber Deejay Jemmett. Jemmett’s mother said that after her child had been playing with the slime, her skin kept on getting worse. In fact, “within 48 hours, her skin had started to peel off. From there it got worse.”

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Daily Record/YouTube Source: Daily Record/YouTube

Eventually, this little girl had to see a plastic surgeon to restore her hands to how they previously were.

In some extreme cases, the burning has spread from a child’s hands to their arms and then their face.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Wikipedia Source: Wikipedia

Part of what makes the problem so severe is that many of the popular online slime recipes do not notify when their mixture features sodium borate/borax. For example, many of the recipes call for the use of contact lens solution, which contains the chemical.

If you know of any child that really wants to play with homemade slime, make sure they are only given slime that is made with no borax.

For example, some recipes only use cornstarch and shampoo, two substances with none of the dangerous chemical.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Source: FOX 4 Now

Advertisement
Advertisement