Applying makeup is an art form. And to make it more difficult, the “best” way to do it isn’t the same for each person.
However, there are some of the most trusted tips and tricks that work more often than not and we’ve gathered the best ones to help you work through your cosmetic conundrums.
From matching foundation to getting your eyeliner just right, be sure to scroll all the way through for some advice you may not have thought of.
1. Make your own mix
“If you can’t find a perfect shade, buy one that’s slightly darker than your skin and one that’s slightly lighter, then fine-tune the color yourself.”
2. If you accidentally get mascara around your eyes, let it dry
Wait 5 minutes or so and then swipe it away with a Q-tip. At that point, it should flake off and not smudge.
3. Get buff
“Buff, buff, buff foundation into the skin — quickly, like a whirlwind — with a brush. It ensures the coverage won’t look heavy-handed.”
4.Use the right foundation for your skin type
Use a water-based foundation if you have oily skin. Use an oil-based foundation if you have dry skin. Everyone is different.
5. Make your matte, full-coverage concealer look more natural with primer oil or coconut oil
6. Use hairspray to tame full eyebrows
7. Wet your brush before applying highlighter
8. Don’t apply primer with your fingers
9. Use a matte bronzer to make your eyes look bigger
10. Never use face soap with sodium laureth sulfate
11. Stick to matte eyeshadows and powders if you have fine lines on and around your eyelids
12. Always do your eye makeup before your foundation
13. Always exfoliate and prime your lips with a serum
14. Use scotch tape for the perfect eyeliner wing
15. Use eyeshadow primer on the lash line
16. You can also use a cotton pad for eyeliner guidance
17. Who doesn’t want to look younger?
“My favorite ‘look younger’ makeup tip is to first use a luminizer in the inner corner, then swoop it with a fan brush underneath the eye. This brightens the face.”
18. Never share makeup brushes
19. Tarte’s Timeless Smoothing Primer is an absolute must
20. Imagine a line from the outer corner of your eye to the tip of your brow. This is where your eyeshadow should stop.
21. You don’t need a lip liner with your liquid matte lipstick
And if anyone tells you that you do, they are a liar. Almost all liquid lipsticks do just fine on their own.
22. Don’t sleep in your makeup
23. Don’t recreate the celebrities
24. Invest in good skincare products
25. Don’t start from the top lash line if you’re doing winged eyeliner, use the bottom lash line for a smoother, straighter line
26. Never store your makeup in a bathroom cabinet
27. Blend your foundation out onto your neck
28. Don’t use stark white concealer under your eyes
29. Apply setting powder with a damp beauty blender or brush
30. The same foundation that works for you in the summer might not work for you in the winter
31. For eyeshadow, tap the excess eyeshadow off the brush
32. Blend your foundation into your hairline and make sure to contour that too
33. Stop blowing on your makeup brushes
34. Save your mascara brush
Fun fact: most of the mascara magic actually comes from the brush. So if you found one that really works for you, save the brush when you’re done, clean it, and try using it with a cheaper bottle! It’s really not necessary to spend big bucks on this.